1. Market middle-market communities based on lifestyle, not affordability.
2. Build communities for the middle class based on what research shows they can afford, then spend much time in advance thinking about how to realize efficiencies through design and operations.
3. The regulatory environment needs to change. Regulators must evolve.
4. Serving the middle market requires a new mindset about senior living from operators and prospective residents.
5. The industry, the government and older adults will suffer if middle market-related challenges aren’t addressed.